Tuesday, March 6, 2012

3 X 200k Report

Welcome to the new spot! I need to spruce things up around here, but more than likely will post my ride reports here going forward. I have also had some people recommend some posts on gear that I use and abuse.

For those that may be interested, previous posts can be found here.

I've been tossing around the idea the past couple of years, of doing another brevet series and perhaps even committing to doing another 1,200km ride. Passe for some, but I remember vividly how taxing that was on my body and mind. Maybe it was more the DOUBLE series I did leading up to the 1,200, than the 1,200 itself? Who knows. I do know that I had more seat time that year than ever before.

In 2011, the plan was to test the waters and see if I wanted to commit. I tested. I did not commit. Same plan coming into 2012 - ride a few long ones and see how the mind responded. Since I knew the body would rebel, I decided to not listen to the legs. (Jens Voigt says, "shut up, legs!")

No plan, really other than to just ride at least a couple of 200's and see. The 2nd or 3rd 200k in my area was the Mountain Music 200k, which is a relatively new series put on by RBA and friend, Steve Phillips. I'll not belabor the details, but when I committed to doing this ride, the forecast called for temps in the mid 50's and light winds. At the time we left Fort Payne, it was barely above freezing, and a steady 15-20mph wind. OH - and we had sideways snow going up to the top of lookout mountain where it was a balmy 19 degrees at the top. Yeah - I was bummed.

This was a ride of survival, literally. I kept thinking, 'just get me halfway' and I'll have no choice but to do the whole ride.

Between freezing water bottles, frigid temps, and battling darkness for which I was ill prepared (major Randonneur faux paux) I discovered the mind and heart was pretty well ready to slug it out with the 'quitter' demons. Those little voices that try to tell you it's okay to bail on a ride. I didn't. It was perhaps the hardest last 50 miles I've ever ridden due to the wind. Take a look:

Mountain Music 200k



OK - so after the confidence boost of gutting out a pretty tough first 100+ mile ride in over 7 months, I decided to grab another - this one closer to home.

It was a great ride in cooler temps. I shared the day with Dave Penegar and Bob Hess - both from Knoxville. It was a great contrast to have fun conversation and fellow humans for the day, instead of a cold howling wind and freezing water bottles in Alabama. I spent the majority of the time on the front, where oddly I would rather be on these rides. I don't know why that is - but I struggle to even stay with a pack when on the back. Dave and Bob didn't seem to mind me towing them around most of the day, shielding them from the wind. haha

Kingston Springs 200k



Starting to feel like my interest was there for some more long stuff, it was time to visit with my Kentucky peeps, whom are responsible for shepherding me around my first century rides, and introducing me to Randonneuring. Another breezy day, and a bit chilly but not too bad. I had a great day riding with KY RBA Steve Rice, and later Dave King joined in with us. We also had a patient Ted ?? from Columbus, OH who was obviously significantly stronger than us, but seemed more interested in being with others, than hammering off the front. Even with the bonus miles, I felt pretty good at the end of this one. Actually eager to move up to a 300k. A very positive sign considering the suffering I went thru last year on that 300.

KY 200k



The TN 300 goes down to Sewanee, up the hill to University Of The South and back. Not quite as hilly as the previous rides, but more exposed, so wind could be a bigger factor. I'm hoping to cut a nice chunk of time of off last year's ride. We'll see how that all goes!

Still not commitment as to how deep I'll go into the distance stuff. I ride for the enjoyment - period. I race for the enjoyment and fun - period. I feel lucky to have the two vastly different styles and disciplines to keep things interesting. At some point this spring, I'll need to start some really intense training so I don't embarrass myself OR my team when it's time to begin criterium racing.

No comments:

Post a Comment